Do you have a picky eater on your hands?! Or, maybe you just have some leftover ham that you want to use. Either way, try this Zucchini and Ham Stir Fry!
It’s delicious when paired with some garlicky mashed potatoes or smashed cauliflower. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Mmmmmm
My grandpa loves two things: ham and potatoes. When my grandma went in for shoulder surgery recently, she asked me to make sure that grandpa ate his veggies while she recouped in a rehab center. While we were slowly exercising her arm, she gave me a bunch of ideas for things he might eat and zucchini was on the list. I was excited, because zucchini is one of my favorites!
I went back to their house and made a big batch of this completely non-asian zucchini and ham stir fry that he could top his mashed potatoes with. While I heated up some garlic butter and olive oil in the wok that Grandma always keeps on top of her Wolfe stove top, Grandpa grumbled about not wanting to be taken care of. So, I told him, “Don’t worry, Grandpa, I’m not making this for you. I’m making it for Grandma.”
“Okay, then. I’m going to fix the back door,” he told me shaking his head. He knew what game I was playing, but he went along with it anyway. He adores me enough to deal with my shenanigans.
The process is beyond easy!!
I peeled and sliced the zucchini, chopped up some yellow onion and sautéed it with a touch more garlic. Once the onion was translucent, I added in some cubed ham that was slightly smoky.
I seasoned it with some salt and pepper and called it good! Once it was done, I plated it with some mashed potatoes, and snuck it into the fridge for him to warm up later.
I heard that Grandpa said I was a good cook, which means he ate it!! Goal met. 🙂
This really simple zucchini and ham stir fry is a great way to get a little more life out of your ham leftovers. Plus, it would be a great topper for a baked potato or maybe even a filling for a delicious morning scramble or frittata. What could be better than that!?
- 2 T roasted garlic butter (or olive oil)
- 2 zucchinis peeled and sliced
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of leftover smoked ham, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in the wok (or frying pan). Once it is fully melted, swirl it around the pan.
- Add in the chopped onion and stir fry over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, add in the zucchini and garlic and cook until the veggies are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Add in the cubed ham and stir fry for a few minutes more (just until the ham is warmed).
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Check out these other simple recipes before you go: