These green bloody mary’s are a tomato-haters dream come true! You can finally partake in the morning cocktail that has long been touted as one of the best hangover cures in all the land. Don’t ask me if it’s true, though, I’m just repeating what a friend told me.
Seriously, though, I love the idea of having a friends-only brunch with a bloody mary bar. I imagine that it would have all of the normal toppings: bacon, celery, lime wedges, salt for the rim, maybe even a skewered dill pickle, oh, and who can forget the Tabasco sauce?! I would have self-serve pitchers of the mix with various bottles of vodka and gin set alongside the toppings, and voila! People can make their own.
These tomatillo based bloody marys are delicious, too! They’ll make you look like a rock-star hostess. You might think these would taste a little salsa-like, but it’s not! The Worcestershire sauce, cucumber, celery seed and horseradish help it steer clear of that type of flavor. This recipe is based on one that I saw on The Chew, but then I tweaked it to make it even better! I used roasted tomatillos and added some onion powder and cumin to give it a little more depth of flavor. I even thought about adding a little dill pickle brine to it, but ultimately decided not to. It is definitely an option to play with, though. The only thing I would do differently next time is throw it in my Vitamix to give it a smoother consistency.
Man, these would be amazing served with a cheesy green chili egg casserole, or a veggie hashbrown quiche.
Here is the Recipe:
- 2 lbs of tomatillos, roasted (or 1 cup of salsa verde)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of cucumbers
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and deveined if you don't want it as spicy.
- 2 teaspoons of celery seed
- 1.5 T of horseradish sauce
- 1/8 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 large limes juiced
- salt to taste
- a few dashes of green tabasco sauce, optional
- 1 cup of vodka
- smoky sea salt
- cooked shrimp
- lime slices
- Add the roasted tomatillos (or salsa), cucumbers, jalapeno, celery seed, cumin, onion powder, prepared horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, and salt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the mix to a pitcher and then mix in the vodka.
What do you think?! Would you try it?
BEFORE YOU LEAVE, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES THAT WILL ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!