These hot brown inspired tomato bites are chock full of cheesy, baconey, tomatoey goodness! As if that isn’t enough to make you want to make them, they are also the perfect way to use up some of your fresh garden tomatoes.
Pin this recipe for later by hovering over the image and clicking the save button!
I had the Kentucky Derby on my mind when I made these for my kiddos one afternoon before our move, which is why I figured they would pair nicely with a classic mint julep. Check out our recipe here.
Don’t the tomatoes on these bites remind you one of those amazing hats you see people wearing at the derby?! Or, is it just me?! It’s okay, you can tell me…haha 😉
Anyway, these bites start with a store-bought puff pastry dough. I top it with a super cheesy sauce that I make with extra sharp cheddar cheese, a little bit of crisp bacon, a small bit of turkey, and an oven roasted tomato slice. I top it with a tiny bit of shredded parmesan cheese and voila! A deliciously decadent bite that can be used for parties, a snack for your kids, or a game day treat. I know it’s way far off, but can’t you imagine these being the best kind of super bowl party bite?! Me, too.
I have the prep broken down into four steps:
- Prepare the tomatoes
- Prepare the cheese sauce
- Prepare the puff pastry foundation
The tomatoes are sliced and sprinkled with some onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and then roasted at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until they are slightly dry, but not totally. It takes about 20 minutes.
While the tomatoes roast, I shred the extra sharp cheddar cheese for the sauce. The sauce comes together very quickly and is totally done by the time the tomatoes are finished roasting.
Then, there is the bacon. You can do it a couple of different ways. You can roast it in the oven, or you can fry it on the stovetop. I prefer the oven method, because it is way less mess. Plus, it saves me time, since it can cook at the exact same time as the tomatoes.
To bake the bacon in the oven, layer a rimmed cookie sheet with foil, place a metal cooling rack in the bottom of the pan, and lay the bacon flat on the cooling rack. Bake it in the oven along with the tomatoes. Just be sure to watch it carefully.
Here’s how to make these Hot Brown Inspired Tomato Bites
- 3 small Early Girl tomatoes, sliced.
- Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 T salted butter
- 4 teaspoons of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk (2%)
- 2/3 cup of grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- One sheet of puff pastry
- 1 Tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 6-8 teaspoons of Grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled.
- 6 slices of turkey deli meat, cut into rounds.
- 6 teaspoons of parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated cheddar cheese for garnish
- Slice three small early girl tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place the slices onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle each one with a pinch of kosher salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Roast them at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, once it is melted add the flour. Cook the mixture until it is a light golden color and it has a nutty aroma.
- Once it is golden, add the milk to the pan and whisk the roux into the milk until it thickens and there aren't any clumps. It won't take long, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and add in the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Mix it until the cheese melts into the sauce and the sauce is smooth.
- Defrost one sheet of puff pastry. Once it is thawed, use a small round cookie cutter to cut the dough into rounds. Push down once and then pull back up, do not twist the cutter.
- Place the rounds onto a baking sheet (allowing for plenty of space between them, so they don't touch when they puff up).
- Lightly brush each round with a little bit of the dijon mustard, then top the round with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of parmesan cheese.
- Put them into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Once all of the pieces of the recipe are complete, you start with the puff pastry, then layer on a small amount of cheese sauce, a piece of turkey, a piece of bacon, a little parmesan cheese, the tomato and a little shredded cheese on top. Once assembled, place on a serving tray and enjoy!