When I was a little girl (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth according to my sons) my momma made the best ever rice pudding. It was thick, creamy, and not overly sweet.
My mom was the kind of cook who could just throw things together and it would always taste great. She never used a recipe, and consequently, nothing could ever be made like she did it.
When Mom made her creamy rice pudding, she would toss in a pinch of salt, add the right handful of cinnamon, and sometimes, she would scrape a vanilla bean pod into the milk as it simmered.
Mom would teach me and my brothers the techniques she would use to prevent the egg from curdling and how she would extract the most amount of flavor from the ingredients as she could.
While I’m not sharing her exact recipe (because who knows what it was, haha) this one comes close and is just as creamy and decadent.
In less than 30 minutes, as long as you are using leftover rice, you will be able to whip up a lifetime of good memories…or at the very least, some creamy rice pudding that is completely worth sweating off in the gym tomorrow.
How to Make This Really Easy Rice Pudding:
- 3 cups of leftover rice
- 3 1/2 cups of milk
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup of golden raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 T butter
- Cinnamon to taste
- First, add the cooked rice, 2 1/2 cups of milk, ½ cup of cream, sugar and salt into a heavy saucepan. Let that simmer until it is nice and thick. It will take about 20 minutes.
- Once it is thick, add in the beaten eggs, the golden raisins, and the remaining cup of milk. It is important to stir this consistently, so that the eggs don’t curdle. Allow it to thicken up and give it enough time to cook the eggs (remember keep stirring!). It will take about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pudding from the heat, and stir in the vanilla, butter, and cinnamon. Once the butter has melted, you can eat it piping hot, or you can add some plastic wrap to the top, so that a skin doesn’t form and allow it to cool. It’s great either way!
Hope you enjoy!
BEFORE YOU LEAVE, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES THAT WILL ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!